Max Bill, a Swiss architect, artist, and designer born in Winterthur on December 22, 1908. After completing his apprenticeship as a silversmith from 1924 to 1927, he enrolled in the Bauhaus in Dessau, Germany, where he studied under renowned artists and designers such as Wassily Kandinsky, Paul Klee, and Oskar Schlemmer from 1927 to 1929.
During his time at the Bauhaus, Bill became interested in the principles of functional design and abstraction, which would become the foundation of his artistic and design philosophy. He later moved to Zurich, Switzerland, where he worked as an architect, artist, and designer, creating a wide range of works, including furniture, sculptures, buildings, and graphic designs.
Max Bill was a leading figure in the Concrete Art movement and was one of the founders of the Hochschule für Gestaltung (HfG) in Ulm, Germany, which became one of the most influential design schools in the world. Bill passed away on December 9, 1994, in Berlin, Germany, leaving behind a significant legacy as an artist, designer, and educator.